Executive Meeting Minutes Nov 26 2018

Lots to read…about Thunderbird Marina, cruises, meeting schedule, and more:

Attendees: Fred Nolte, Joel Westereng, Steve Cook, Ken Murray, Rebecca Frame, John Binns, Michael Quick, Gabriel Mora (by phone). Regrets: Tom Mayson (sent report), Shawna Little, Graham Dalton, Vitali Didenko

Call to order:      7:07        PM           Quorum:                 Yes         

Approval of minutes of the previous meeting Oct 29: Michael/John: approved

Reports

President’s Report: Fred Nolte – Congratulations to Rebecca for her work and team organization for the Winter Social that was, by all accounts, a great event; and to Joel for his and his team’s work on the new website. Fred also had information and encouragement for us all on conducting meetings that are efficient, respectful, and result in positive outcomes for all co-op members. Brevity, respect for others’ ideas, adherence to the topic at hand, and preparation (such as formulating motions beforehand) were all on the list of encouragements.

Treasurer’s Report: Steve Cook gave an update on the budget including fees paid etc. Postal job action may be causing some delays in our receiving cheques. There were a few questions on line items that Steve (new treasurer) will consult with Jan (previous treasurer) for details and previous practice.

Fleet: Michael Quick – winterizing is going well. Graham is working with Brenda (person who sews canvas at Reed Point Marina) on a prototype canvas tarp to provide better winter protection for our boats.

Orientation: Tom Mayson (sent report by email) – There have been four 1-3 Orientations since the last Exc. mtg. with
Stephen, Tamiko, Dennis and Joel having completed these stages. There are three more to be completed, when a common time needs to be worked out.

Membership: Gabriel Mora (by phone) – Discussion with Joel, Steve and Rebecca about: updating/coordinating members-paid and qualifications lists and regarding contacts with new members re social activities and orientations. We are all getting used to using the new website as a ‘record of source’ for this information.

Cruises: John Binns – Lots of discussion about meeting the needs of new members while at the same time creating more interest in cruises and social activities. It was generally agreed and strongly felt that maintaining the social learning aspects of this co-op is paramount, that this is not simply a boat-sharing group but a sailing/learning community and that cruises are a central activity of this community. In addition there was some discussion about extending the community spirit within the coop and enhancing the social experiences on cruises and at meetings.

Vice-President (Technology): Joel Westereng – In addition to the background on issues discussed above (under membership), Joel reminded us of the new ‘executive discussion’ function on the new website that could replace the current email list discussions that we have.

Business Items

  1. Thunderbird Marina: The slip that we have acquired will be up for renewal in March and we must make a decision on renewal by February 14. We have two membership meetings before that (January 7 and February 4) for members to make the decision. It will be our job to present clear options to the membership. We have received a number of comments and it seems to be generally felt that we must maintain a slip at Westport (Sidney). In preparation for the next meeting we will be investigating and providing numbers for the following options if we are to keep the Thunderbird slip (And there may be other options):
  • simply absorbing the cost of the new slip (with or without an extra summer slip elsewhere)
  • giving up the hammerhead at Reed point and reducing costs there (and what that might involve)
  • subletting part of the hammerhead part-time

2. Executive Role Review – Roles reviewed are listed in the Orientation documents; we also discussed that there may some updating required as roles evolve vis a vis the use of the new website.

  1. Volunteer Proposal: Gustavo has volunteered to help members prepare to challenge the Sail Canada Navigation exams in return for volunteer hours. This was well received and supported by the executive. This item was tabled for the next exec meeting so we (Ken) can prepare a motion with wording that addresses this sort of volunteer work in general especially respecting that our volunteers might not be certified by Sail Canada to “teach” the navigation course; they are only helping members to challenge an exam.
  1. Meeting Schedule for 2019 – The following schedule is proposed for 2019 pending negotiations/approval from Burnaby Winter Club

 

Thurs 03-Jan Executive Meeting
Mon 07-Jan Membership Meeting
Thurs 17-Jan Boat Group Meeting
Mon 28-Jan Exec
Mon 04-Feb Membership
Thurs 21-Feb Boat
Mon 25-Feb Exec
Mon 04-Mar Membership
Thurs 21-Mar Boat
Mon 25-Mar Exec
Mon 01-Apr Membership
Thurs 18-Apr Boat * (Apr 19 is Good Friday)
Mon 29-Apr Exec
Mon 06-May Membership
Thurs16-May Boat
Mon 27-May Exec
Mon 03-Jun Membership
Thurs 20-Jun Boat
Thurs 05 – Sept Exec
Thurs 19-Sep Boat
Mon 30-Sep Exec
Mon 07-Oct Membership
Thurs 17-Oct Boat
Mon 28-Oct Exec
Mon 04-Nov Annual General Meeting
Sat 16-Nov Holiday event (to confirm)
Mon 25-Nov Exec

 

Adjourn – 9:03 PM

September 6 2018 Executive Meeting Minutes

Sept 6, 2018 Attendees: Fred Nolte, Joel Westereng, Jan O’Brien, Ken Murray, Shawna Little, Tom Mayson, John Binns, Gabriel Mora, Graham Dalton. Regrets: Michael Quick, Kim Lepp

Call to order:                   7:03                  PM

Quorum Yes                                   

Approval of minutes of the previous meeting May 28, 2018: Shawna/Jan Approved

Reports
President Report:
Fred Nolte

  • Policy and Procedures – still working on this from previous efforts, more to come below as pertains to membership update.
  • record keeping, digital transition, progressing as reported earlier this year-
  • executive vacancies: notwithstanding previous indications, Fred has agreed to carry on for 1 more year. Kim will be leaving Social Coordinator, Jan will be leaving Treasurer , Connie may be leaving Quartermaster

A few names were mentioned who will be approached to stand for these positions. We have until the AGM (Nov 5) to find candidates

  • meeting presentations: For Mon Sept 10, Shawna will present on new DFO regulations and enforcement re approaching whales on the water ; Joel will do an extended tech report on the new website. Still working on presentations for the rest of the Fall membership meetings.

Treasurers Report: Jan O’Brien – budget update and comments re budget 2019. We are now in very good shape. Invoices for 2019 have been sent to members. Gabriel has done a lot of recruiting consequently all of the Sailing Permits are now paid for, and, new members have paid this years capital assessments with less than 2 months left. Moved Jan/Joel that for the last two new payees, we will forgo the sailing permit payment for 2018, while accepting the membership fee and capital assessment for 2018. Carried.

Fleet: Michael Quick – n/a – Boat group meeting Sept 20

Membership: Gabriel Mora –Gabriel has been doing a lot of recruiting and as noted above we have all permits paid for and should have a waiting list for 2019. This will put pressure on members to pay their assessments on time. The summer recruiting activity has put pressure on our communications. (We normally don’t check our post office box very often in the summer – we will do so in the future).

Cruises: John Binns – The long cruise ending on Labour Day went well but the numbers were disappointing (4 boats: Wild Goose + 3 Co-op boats with only 2 crew/boat). Survey to come to find out about shifting cruise preferences.

Long Term Bookings: Shawna Little – 22 LTBs completed this year (up from previous). Survey to come.

Technology Plan: Joel Westereng – Joel has done a lot of work here. He demonstrated various functions of the site and we discussed visitor/member/executive/manager access to various functions that will make the site secure and much more responsive to our needs over the current site. He took our feedback on functions/features for a wish-list. Joel strongly encourages us to ‘play’ with the features and functions and to send him feedback so that the development does not happen in a vacuum.

 

Old Business:

See President’s Report – email to come on Lapsed-member policy

New Business:

  1. New Members joining in September – see motion under treasurer’s report
  2. Request to consider mooring at Thunderbird Marina – Lots of discussion: pro, essentially, quick access to Howe Sound and beyond, convenient for members in certain areas of the lower mainland; con, cost (not clear – dependent on options at other marinas – e.g., if we go to two slips at Reed Pt…and implications for haul-out [also, Thunderbird has haul-out facilities]), may be inconvenient for members in other areas, and, an attachment to Westport (all year) and possible summer locations. An analysis of options and costs needs to be done before presenting to the membership – also, we are still only on a waiting list with the possibility of an opening coming in the spring 2019
  3. Request to consider composting toilets – this was tabled after 9:00 PM and Tom has asked us to check out Air Head Marine toilets, at e.g., https://airheadtoilet.com/news/composting-toilet-reviews/

Adjourn: 9:10 PM

Close Menu