Map Unavailable

Date/Time
Date(s) - Feb 04 2019
7:30 pm - 9:00 pm

Location
Burnaby Winter Club

Categories


Barnet Sailing Cooperative – Special General Meeting

February 4, 2019

7:30 PM – Burnaby Winter Club

Minutes

Barnet Sailing Coop—Special General Meeting—February 4, 2019

Attending:

David Schenkeveld Connie Baxter Judith Vosko
Sue Schenkeveld Dave Marriott Steve Cook
John Binns Joel Westereng Jean Munier
Geoff Baile John Bathurst Miroslav Ristic
Richard Blackwell Fred Nolte Ken Murray
Gabriel Mora Ann Veerman Shawna Little
Vitali Didenko Evan Gatehouse Dennis Davis
Les McAusland Diane Selkirk Michael Quick
Dragan Djuricanin Nico Viljoen Delphine Guldner
Anne Murney Matt Collingwood Stephen Culhane
Kelvin Worrall Doug Murney Jefferson Manens
Tracey Hulme Ian Crook Brian Martin

 

Call To Order: 7:37 PM

Approval of previous minutes:

Minutes from Jan 7 general meeting: Moved Anne/David Marriot: Carried

Reports

President – Fred Nolte passed on the sad news that Tom Smith, a long time member and our current auditor, has passed away. Many in the coop had sailed with Tom and will be passing on condolences.

Treasurer – Steve Cook presented the current Profit/Loss statement. (Will be attached here, soon). We are already less than $8000 short of our income estimate for the year and this should be made up in new member cheques coming soon. Moved acceptance of the Treasurer’s report: Ann Veerman/Michael Quick. Accepted

Membership – Gabriel Mora: We are in great shape membership-wise. Welcome to new members: Jefferson Manens, Delphine Guldner, Bruce (from LMYC)…(and 1 other – I didn’t get the names on the list – please send to Ken at secretary@barnetsailing.bc.ca).

Fleet – Michael Quick: The Boat group has met and the first 2 haul-outs are scheduled for Feb 22 – 24. Some concerns that the weather will be difficult and could force a postponement (1 week delay). Will keep everyone posted. A reminder for everyone that tonight’s job-fair will start the sign-up for haul-out volunteers.

Cruises – John Binns: Cruise planners met and a schedule will be posted. Have worked on flexibility that will depend on cruisers signing up early so that boats needed can be booked or released in time for others planning to use boats. Orientation cruises are planned to help new members needing to practice orientations. John Bathurst put in a few words in support of cruises and Diane Selkirk noted that Sunday Sails are well, even over subscribed

Long Term Bookings – Shawna Little: Preference/Application forms will be out in a while with an April submission deadline

Social – AJ spoke for Rebecca about coming social events that could include a get-together at Pat’s Pub. Watch the website for details.

Business

Resolution:

After an introduction by Fred and some background questions clarified (about the situations at Reed Point, Westport Marina and Long Term Bookings) as well as some concerns expressed for the difficulty of wringing too much out of our maintenance/replacement budgets, the posted resolution was Moved Dave Marriott/Richard Blackwell:

Be it resolved that the membership approves an additional expenditure of up to $5400.00 in the 2019 budget for the use of a slip at Thunderbird Marina for one year starting April 1, 2019 to see if there is enough support for the ongoing use of Thunderbird Marina. The Coop will try to offset this expenditure by finding economies in other parts of our budget so that the net additional expenditure is as small as reasonably possible.

The resolution was Approved by a large majority

 

Adjourn (Approximately 8:45 PM)

Job Fair

Ian Crook spoke to the Boat Show sign up.

AJ Veerman explained the role of specialist groups in the coop and had a list of some of the specialist needs and general needs for the haul-outs with a sign-up list.

Anne Murney spoke to the housekeeping jobs (with a sign-up list) and the need for a housekeeping leader and that especially this position should not be gender restricted.

Other specialists (Vitali Didenko – electronics, Les McAusland – winches, Geoff Baile – sails,…and others) spoke about their particular specialty groups and invited members to talk about their work and possibly organize job shadows etc.

It all seemed a bit disorganised at first, but it went very well. And a few people won a Barnet Sailing Mug.

Agenda

  • Quorum is required (minimum of ¼ of the paid up membership AND 10 persons)
  • Please ensure you have signed in and have a voting card (1 per member/family)
  • Only paid up members for 2018/2019 will be eligible to vote.

Call to order

Adoption of the Minutes of January 7th membership meeting (Minutes are posted on this website – access at the event calendar):

Reports:

President: Fred Nolte

Treasurer: Steve Cook

Membership: Gabriel Mora

Fleet Report: Michael Quick

Cruises: John Binns

Orientation: Tom Mayson

Long Term Bookings: Shawna Little

Social: Rebecca Frame

 

Business:

Thunderbird Marina Resolution

The decision to seize the opportunity for a slip at Thunderbird Marina was predicated on a plan to reduce the year-long moorage at Westport to seasonal to offset the cost of the new slip. It was later learned that Westport Marina will be upgrading to convert to larger slips. Existing slip holders will be grandfathered in, however if we were to give up our slip we would lose our spot at Westport and not be guaranteed summer moorage.

Through online survey, executive discussion, and membership meeting discussion it has been surmised that there is some agreement that we should keep our options open for this year regarding all of our marina slips and workspaces. This especially applies to Reed Point, Westport and Thunderbird Marinas.

To keep the slip at Thunderbird Marina for the year (April 2019 – April 2020) while we get a handle on its usefulness and our members’ preferences regarding boat locations, will require some careful economizing in our budget. We would have an additional $5400 expenditure (the cost of the Thunderbird moorage) that was not included in the budget that was approved at the last AGM. We can only do this if we approve the following resolution.

Resolution: Be it resolved that the membership approves an additional expenditure of up to $5400.00 in the 2019 budget for the use of a slip at Thunderbird Marina for one year starting April 1, 2019 to see if there is enough support for the ongoing use of Thunderbird Marina. The Coop will try to offset this expenditure by finding economies in other parts of our budget so that the net additional expenditure is as small as reasonably possible.

Adjourn:

After-Meeting Job Fair

As part of getting ready for Haul-outs that begin at the end of February, members will get a chance to talk to some of the Specialist Team leaders and team members as well as Boat Captains. This is the chance for all members to get to know about work that they might want to do at haul-out time and as maintenance task all year round. Talk to leaders and workers. Find out what work is involved. Arrange a job shadow.

Leave a Reply

Close Menu